Landywood is part of something very exciting - Eco-Schools!
Eco-Schools is a charity that encourages pupils to protect the environment and make the world a much nicer place to live in.
Participating in the programme:
- Engages young people in important environmental issues.
- Demonstrates to pupils that environmental actions can be enjoyable, social and rewarding.
- Teaches responsibility and generates a sense of community.
- Develops the skills and knowledge young people need to play an active role in protecting our environment now and throughout their lifetimes.
- Empowers students with the belief that they can have a positive impact on our planet.
- Enables schools to green their entire curriculum.
Independent research has also found that pupil participation in Eco-Schools leads to: increased confidence, development of leadership skills, improved behaviour and greater motivation at school.
Each class in our school has an 'Eco Warrior'. Our team of Eco Warriors meet and share ideas on how they can further protect the environment - both the school's environment and also the wider environment too.
'To achieve the Eco-Award, we needed to choose three out of the ten topics to focus and work on. We have chosen Biodiversity, Marine and Water. Our aim is to create an area in our forest where animals and plants can live and grow freely. Our committee will ensure this area is maintained and thriving. We also aim to educate our children on marine life and how we can keep our oceans free of litter, along with how we can save water.'