Maths Day 2020
Landywood ‘ROCKS’ at Maths!
We have added some ‘rocking fun’ into our Maths lessons to encourage learning and boost maths confidence. In order to celebrate National Maths Week, each class dressed as a Rock star or a Robot, all inspired by our love for Times Tables Rockstars and Numbots!
The objectives of the day were to:
- raise the capital of Maths across the school creating a fun ‘buzz’ around it
- hook the less inclined mathematicians
- delve deeper into problem solving and promote resilient learners
- fill gaps created from missed learning during closure of schools
- bring Maths to life giving it context and purpose
Therefore, throughout the day children participated in problem solving, Timetable Rockstar and Numbot competitions, Active Maths and have even contextualised their learning by completing real-life Maths activities. The day engaged even the most reluctant Mathematicians and developed a real ‘buzz’ around the school.
We chose to celebrate Maths during the second national lockdown in order to add some extra fun to the school day and reinspire a love of learning, during such unprecedented times. As a result of the initial National Lockdown, we felt it was essential to address any missed learning in a positive and productive way.